Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Mid-term Evaluation

Mid-term Evaluation

When first approaching my project I wanted to focus on the idea of natural forms, in particular flowers. This has remained consistent throughout my project however as my project has progressed I have ventured down different roots based on new ideas and inspiration that I have found. Initially I wanted to focus on macro photography in relation to nature however shortly into my project I decided that I wanted to look into more elements than just macro photography because I did not feel as though this would allow me to experiment in the ways I wanted to. Due to this I decided to incorporate many different ideas relating to flowers and nature. This allowed me to branch out and explore different ways in which flowers can be photographed in both their natural and unnatural environment.

With regards to my most successful shoots I have taken photos in a studio setting and in a natural environment. I feel as though with nature photography I cannot compare these two photographic environments directly because each of them produced very different images. During shoot 2 I took photos of flowers at a local garden centre and I was able to capture images of a very wide range of flowers with some insects also being within the frame of some photos. I really liked these photos as I felt they captured the natural beauty of flowers and I also liked the way in which all the flowers were left in their natural environment. During this shoot I focused on the use of colour within photos and the way in which different flowers used many different colours. I looked at saturated colours. When shooting in the studio I was able to be a lot more creative with the day in which I took the photos. I feel as though shoot 3 was very successful because it focused on inspiration from Nadege Meriau and the way in which I was able to think so deeply into my set up really intrigued me into wanting to shoot more in a studio environment. I liked the way in which this shoot different from shoot 2 because it looked at slightly darker photography. I liked the use of soil as a background for this shoot rather than just using a plain background. Moving forward in my project I would like to incorporate he use of soil as a background in more depth and detail.

This is an edit I created from shoot 2.

This is an edit I created from shoot 3. 


I feel as though the aspect of my work which requires improvement is the experimentation within my editing. I feel as though I want to experiment a lot more with this physically and on photoshop. Photoshop is a weakness of mine and therefore I would like to try and use photoshop in a more detailed way rather than just to enhance my images. On the other hand I do feel as though some of my images do not need to be heavily edited and this may have been why I have not used photoshop too much during my project.

One thing I would like to progress and develop is the editing that I completed during shoot 4. I liked the way the physical edits turned out however I took have inspiration from the photographer Marcelo Monreal. I would like to go beyond his ideas and create photos that reflect his work but incorporate more of my own ideas. I would like to bring my project together by creating shoots which all lead in the same direction. I think I would like to focus on the symbolic meaning of flowers and photograph this in different ways based on the different photographers I have looked at.  



   

1 comment:

  1. a good evaluation which needs to be supported by examples of images that you have taken, and images of the artist research Nadege Meriau, Marcel Monreal. current grade C+ after adding the visual links it will be a B.

    ReplyDelete