Thursday, June 21, 2018

Technique - wide angle close up

Wide Angle Close Up 

Definition - Is an approach taken when using wide angle lens e.g. 18 mm – 24 mm and shooting the main foreground subject close up.  This approach will render interesting outcomes as the lens distorts the foreground subject.

The image below demonstrates this technique. 



Wide angle close up photography distorts the foreground 

Surreal imagery can be created

This technique can be used to shoot nature (flowers in a landscape)

Requires that you shoot at a short focal length  

Use of a tripod is recommended

Image Bank 





Contact Sheet



My Images 




In order to capture these images I used a focal length of 18mm. I used a shutter speed of 1/160s to freeze motion within the image. I then used an aperture of f/9. I also used an ISO of 200 because the weather was slightly cloudy however I did have a lot of natural light available to me therefore I did not want the camera to be too sensitive to the light. For the photo of the model I used an ISO of 400 because this was taken inside. I tried to get as close as possible to the object or model to try and distort the background. 


Evaluation

One area of my images that I found least successful is that when photographing a person I did not feel as though I was taking the photo close enough to the model. This is because the image is not as distorted as I would have liked it to be by using this technique.

I think that the photos I took of nature were very successful because the background is out of focus and slightly distorted which is what I wanted the image to look like. I also found that the flower in the photo is very focused and clear which is something that I feel is important when using this technique.

Progression

I would like to use this technique in my future projects whilst photographing nature because I like the way that the camera is so close up that the detail in the flower is shown clearly.

 









No comments:

Post a Comment