Thursday, June 21, 2018

Technique - Sequencing

Sequencing

Definition - By definition, a sequence is a serial arrangement in which things follow in logical order or a recurrent pattern. Photo sequencing is actually stitching multiple images together and it is a form of time-lapse photography. A change in an object’s position over time is being displayed and it only works when the object moves across a static background.

The image below demonstrates this technique. 



This technique can be achieved using these steps:


1. A tripod must be used
2. Fast shutter speed
3. Manual camera settings (to fix the exposure)
4. Manual focus
5. No Camera shake (be careful when pressing the button).
6. Direct the shoot (composition/framing and where the moving elements will move from and to are important.
7. Photo-editing software, for example photoshop


Image Bank 







My Images 










I used a tripod when taking these images because I needed to ensure that the image was taken in the exact same position each time. This will allow me to overlap the images to look like a flowing sequence. When pressing the button on the camera to take the image I tried to not be too heavy handed because other wise the camera may have moved slightly and the background of the images would be slightly different. To create my images I used a shutter speed of 1/125 and an aperture of 5.6. I used a relatively fast shutter speed which was something that I needed to use in order to freeze motion within the images that I took. 


How to Edit the Images

1. Firstly I opened the first two images I wanted to use in photoshop. I then clicked cmd+A which selected the entire image and then I clicked cmd+C which copied the image.

2. I then clicked onto the first image and pasted the second image over the top.

3. Next I created a mask on the copied layer and clicked 'edit' then 'fill'. I selected black and pressed ok. 

4. I then selected the paint brush in white and painted roughly over the area I knew the model was in. This then revealed the other image through the copied one and looked like the two images were together as one.

5. When selecting the images to use I was not able to use every image that I took because I needed to choose images that would not overlap each other in the final image otherwise the technique would not have worked. This is why there is only 3 images used within the entire final image. 



Evaluation of my image

If I were to improve my image I would capture the images with slightly larger gaps in between. This is because I would have liked to have captured even gaps in between each of the images which I believe may have made it flow more.  

I feel as though the image was successful because I have created a complete sequence which I was easily able to edit because I was able to use a tripod and not move the camera whilst taking the photo. 

Progression

I feel as though I would like to use this technique within my own work by maybe considering the sequence of nature, for example from life to death. 






No comments:

Post a Comment