Saturday, September 8, 2018

Technique - Location Portraiture

Location Portraiture

Definition - Location portraiture looks at photographing portraits in a range of locations other than just a studio. It also involves looking closely at depth of field and making the model the clear subject of the image.

Example

Below is an image that demonstrates the technique.

How to create the technique
1. Ensure that a tripod is used
2. Preferably use the aperture priority function on the camera
3. Use a manual focus so this enables you to select where you want the focal point of the image to be.

Theory

Exposure Meter - An exposure meter is on the camera and is an instrument for measuring the amount of light being reflected by a subject. The exposure meter is used to convert the measurements that are gathered into useful information. This then allows a photographer to determine which aperture and shutter speed to use to capture the perfectly exposed image.

Below is an example of an exposure meter. If the marker is below 0 then the image produced will be under exposed and if the marker is above 0 then the image will be over exposed.


Aperture Priority - 

This is the function that I have used to create the technique in this post.

Shutter Priority - 


My Images



F4

F5.6

F8

F11

 

Camera Settings


To capture all of these images I decided to use the aperture priority function on my camera. I used this because when looking into depth of field it is important to explore the different apertures. By using the aperture priority function this allowed me to alter the aperture with the camera automatically changing the shutter speed. This ensured that I got perfectly expose photos. The apertures I used were f/4, f/5.6, f/8 and f/11. I also used an ISO of 400.

 

Evaluation


I believe that this was successful because I now understand in a lot more depth how the aperture used on a camera can affect the depth of field. I believe I have clearly demonstrated this within the images that I have took.
On the other hand I do believe that I could have experimented more with different angled shots or maybe full body shots rather than just half body shots which is what I have focused on.


Progression


When progressing into my project I do believe that I will use this technique when looking at macro photography because I may want the object I am photographing to be in focus and for the background to be out of focus. I believe that knowing the effect aperture has on depth of field will improve my photography skills and allow me to capture some images that I may not have been able to before.

1 comment: